How do you explain ...

Notifications
Clear all

Symptoms How do you explain HD to others who do not know the disease or to family members/children who are just learning about it?

1 Posts
1 Users
1 Reactions
Sue B
(@sue-b)
Topic starter

I would tell them that HD is a neurological degenerative disease that is a combination of MS, Parkinson's, MND and memory loss, and that there currently is no cure. I would also explain that it is a genetic disease and how a person has a 50% chance of getting HD if a parent is positive. I also use an example of a person drinking a cup of coffee.

For a person that doesn't have the HD gene, drinking a cup of coffee is automatic, hand to cup then to mouth. For a person that is HD symptomatic this may take longer because the signals from the brain to the hand and mouth have to find new passage ways due to brain cells dying. This becomes more difficult as the disease progresses.

Please click on the link below as I have found this to be very helpful. Whenever my friend had a new support worker, I would ask them to read this so that they had some understanding of HD and how best to assist my friend especially in the later stages of this disease.

hd request
This topic was modified 1 year ago by admin

Posted : 24/10/2022 8:13 pm
Warning: Undefined array key 1 in /home/ecolabsc/huntingtonsaustralia.com.au/wp-content/plugins/wpforo/modules/reactions/classes/Template.php on line 87

Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/ecolabsc/huntingtonsaustralia.com.au/wp-content/plugins/wpforo/modules/reactions/classes/Template.php on line 87

Warning: Undefined array key 1 in /home/ecolabsc/huntingtonsaustralia.com.au/wp-content/plugins/wpforo/modules/reactions/classes/Template.php on line 87

Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/ecolabsc/huntingtonsaustralia.com.au/wp-content/plugins/wpforo/modules/reactions/classes/Template.php on line 87
natjev and Anonymous reacted

Upcoming Events

Share:

HCC is not a crisis service so if you require immediate support and/or feel in danger or unsafe, we recommend that you please contact 000 or one of the following crisis support services.